Wednesday, November 1, 2017

WE REAL COOL Poem and The Outsiders

I read the poem We Real Cool by Gwendolyn Brooks. This poem really made me think a lot about The Outsiders and about the characters thoughts and feelings. This poem has a lot of the same actions and emotions that were included in both the book and movie The Outsiders. I pick two of my most important connections that I thought made the most sense and went a lot more with the book and the movie.A line in the poem that really stood out to me was “We sing sin” because I thought that this line had a huge connection to what I thought went along with in it both the book and the movie.  The line made me think of all the trouble that the greasers went through because the line makes me think that the greasers all sing trouble or they all sins they committed.This line of the poem made me think of The Outsiders because this made me think of the time in both the book and the movie when Dally stole movie from a convenient store and then was chased down by the cops. All you could hear was Dally panting because he was out of breath and the police car sirens screaming super loud. I thought that the line went along with that part because all the greasers have committed sins and crimes and a whole lot of bad things, I also thought that the line in the poem said “ we sing sin” so I thought that maybe the sirens were kind of like “singing” a song of sin because Dally did something bad. A second line that I though connected to the movie and the book was the line “ we real cool.” I liked this line because made me think of so many parts in the book and the movie where all the greasers felt like a family and they were there for each other and they felt real cool together. They think they look all tough around the socs because they think their group is a lot bigger than the socs.One specific part that I thought in the book and in the movie where I thought the quote “ we real cool” fits along perfectly was when the greasers were getting ready to go to the rumble to fight against the socs to see who wins. On the way there the greasers were doing a whole lot of backflips to impress each other and they were mocking the socs too. They all thought they were really tough and real cool too. This poem really had a lot of connections from the book and the movie because the poem actually sounded like a poem that the greasers would think of or make. I really liked this poem because it was short but didn’t need a whole lot to describe connections or details to already have for you in the poem when you can think for you in your head. This is why I chose/read the poem We Real Cool.

No comments:

Post a Comment