Wednesday, November 1, 2017

The Outsiders Book to Movie Comparison

The Outsiders book and movie have a lot of similarities and differences and the characters and actors show a lot of details. Some similarities are that both book and movie are based on the same locations the characters went to, they both included the poem “Nothing Gold Can Stay” by Robert Frost. Sadly, Johnny and Dally die in both book and movie. Cherry says “Things are rough all over.” in both things. The quote “Stay Gold Ponyboy.” appears in both book and movie. In both the book and movie Johnny killed Bob the Soc and him and Ponyboy had to ask Dally for help then they when on a train to New York to go to an old abandoned church, then they each cut their hair but only Ponyboy bleached it. There were a lot more things that both of the book and movie had in common, but these are the main points in the book that are important in the story.

Some differences from the book and the movie are that in the beginning of the movie it starts off with the drive in movie where Dally, Ponyboy and Johnny meet Cherry Valance. In the book it starts off with Ponyboy walking home from the movies. Second, Darry pushed Ponyboy down instead of slapping him like in the book. Third, Cherry Valance never said “don't talk to me at school” to Ponyboy. Ponyboy and Johnny never went to court for killing Bob. Next the person Paul Newman (A person that Ponyboy wishes to be) wasn't mentioned in the movie. The last difference I noticed from the movie and book was that in the movie it never mentioned that PonyBoy got beat up by the socs. These are all the differences that I noticed in the movie that were different to the book.

The characters from the book are kind of like the characters that I pictured in my head when I was reading the book. In the movie I felt like the characters had good personalities and they bring more details and different points of view to the story. I know that this movie is old and I wish that we can remake this movie with new actors and actresses to make it more detailed and more modern like. I feel like the book was a lot more specific than the movie because in the movie there were not a lot of the same scenes like in the book. I really enjoyed reading the book then watching the movie because I can compare and contrast the similarities and the differences and I can have my own opinion about the book and movie. These are just some thoughts that I had about the movie and the book.
       

No comments:

Post a Comment